A Piece Of The Continent
The Actors Centre and Voila! Europe present
A PIECE OF THE CONTINENT
a celebration of European artists
The Actors Centre, in association with Voila! Europe, is bringing together European artists for a Festival of theatre in April 2019, in response to the UK’s exit from the European Union. This will be a celebration of European culture, offering a platform for visibility and opportunity to those who may feel isolated or disenfranchised by the passing of Article 50.
We are looking for submissions of multilingual, multicultural, and multidisciplinary performance. The theme of the piece does not need to directly reference Brexit or the European experience (although it can do), rather, the mission of the Festival is to highlight and empower European artists, to offer a space where they are welcomed and celebrated, and to showcase the very best European talent in the heart of London’s West End.
If you are interested in applying, please read on for further details.
DATES & TIMES
The Festival will run for three weeks from Monday 8th – Saturday 27th April 2019 in the Tristan Bates Theatre at the Actors Centre, just off Shaftesbury Avenue. Performances will start at 6:15pm, 7:45pm and 9:15pm each night respectively.
There will also be a season launch press/industry event in the afternoon on 1 March 2019; please mark your calendar so that at least one member of your company can be present to give an overview of your show.
Each production will receive:
- 5 or 6 performances in the 58-seat Tristan Bates Theatre across one week.
- 8 hours of get in/tech time with technical supervision.
- A resident technician to operate each performance.
- Marketing and PR support from Voila! Europe and the Actors Centre, including social media coverage and posters/flyers designed and printed in-house.
- 2 comps per performance.
- A festival pass for your company members to attend other performances during the Festival (provided the shows are not sold out).
- 15% discount at the bar for all company members.
Each production will agree to:
- Limit their pieces to a maximum of 1 hour in duration.
- Abide by the ‘Festival Spirit’ guidelines.
- Pay their cast and crew according to the Equity Fringe Minimum guidelines.
- Work with a festival lighting rig.
- There is no fee to apply.
- We will work with a guarantee to the Manager (The Actors Centre) of £1,000 per company as a first call on ticket sales. After the guarantee is met, an 80/20 box office split will apply in the Visiting Company’s favour.
- The Manager will require a returnable deposit of £500 from the Visiting Company upon signature of contract.
- The guarantee will be deducted from the box office return net of credit card charges (3.8% + 20p per ticket) and a marketing fee (2%).
- Contra charges may be applied in addition to the guarantee for additional services, e.g. extra studio hire, overrunning beyond contracted access time, etc.
- Tickets will be priced at £13 standard and £11 concession. We may offer out £10 discounted tickets to certain targeted groups as part of our overall marketing strategy.
FOR COMPANIES OUTSIDE OF THE UK
We cannot provide funding for travel and accommodation. We will do our best to help you to access funding available through your country’s embassy or cultural institute. Due to the tight timeline, we recommend you carefully consider whether you can cover your own travel and accommodation costs, before applying.
Please click here to download a pack of supporting documents, including:
- Tristan Bates Theatre tech spec
- Health & Safety guidelines
- Information on additional costs and charges
- Bullying & Harassment policy
- ‘Festival Spirit’ guidelines
- Equity Fringe Agreement information pack
- Dimensions for the Tristan Bates Theatre
- Rig Plan for the Tristan Bates Theatre
- A box office calculator
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We welcome submissions from anyone who considers themselves to be European. You might have a show in a European language. You might have translated or adapted a European play. You might be a UK company with a piece of new writing featuring a cast or creative team from Europe. You might be a European company looking to bring your show to an international audience in London. If your work has a connection to Europe, we’d love to hear from you!
Voila! Europe specialises in multilingual, multicultural, multidisciplinary theatre. We are excited by the creative possibilities of crossing borders, genres, and languages. A Piece Of The Continent is a festival for theatre, and as such we are unlikely to programme dance, circus, stand-up comedy or performance art unless it has a strong narrative or theatrical element. We welcome performances in any language(s). For shows that are less than 50% in English, we may ask you to provide surtitles and a surtitle operator.
We are looking for finished productions, not work-in-progress pieces (this isn’t to say the piece has to be ready at the point of submission). We encourage applications from productions that have not had a substantial run at another venue in London.
HOW TO APPLY
If you have read all of the above and would like to submit a production for consideration, you can do so by downloading and completing the submissions form. Once complete, please email your form to [email protected]
Submissions will close at 5pm on Friday 18th January 2019. We will be in touch with everyone who has applied with an answer before the end of January.